Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Homeschool Stereotypes

I get an email from Books and Culture. Editor John Wilson writes some personal notes to begin each week and this week he wrote this:

On Saturday, before Joel left for the airport, I asked him if he had something good to read on the flight home. He told me he'd been reading in the Founding era, and he was struck by the frequent references to Locke, so he was reading Locke's treatises on civil government. Joel is homeschooled, which means among other things that he's currently (in what would be his senior year of high school) taking classes at a junior college in the Houston area (and tutoring students there and in high school in math and physics). Spending time with him made me think again about the absurd caricatures of homeschooling and homeschooled kids that many people accept at face value.


I thought that was quite nice.

Tags:
, , , , , , ,

No comments: